On my down time sometimes I scroll through Pinterest (ha! I’m sure I’m not the only one 🙂 ), and there I find all kinds of inspiring ideas- ideas on cooking, DIY crafts, décor, etc…the list goes on and on. Applying these ideas to my actual daily life?…a hit or miss. To be honest, most of the things I “pin” I don’t actually do in real life. I’m afraid that’s how I’ve sometimes treated the Word of God as well. When I’m actually able to sit down and open the Word, too often I skim through it, “like” it so to speak, and go on my merry way without another thought of it. So I’ve thought through some things that actually have helped me apply the Word to my very real, day-to-day, ordinary life. I hope it’s an encouragement and help to you as well! So here goes!
- Taking the time to read without distraction. Whew…this is a hard one as a mom & wife. My wise and godly mother once told me- “It doesn’t have to be first thing in the morning. Find a time that works well for YOU, but make time for the Lord.” This is helpful for me as I’m NOT a morning person at all. Instead, while my babies are napping, this is when I open the Word and read. Find a time that works for you!
- Have a plan: read through a specific book of the Bible or purchase a book study over a specific topic you’re wanting to grow in. Pray before reading the Word, and start small (example: don’t overwhelm yourself with trying to read 5 chapters at a time. Start with 1 chapter and grow on that.) But, whatever you do, have a plan!
- This is where the applying part comes into play. Here’s some super practical things I do:
- – Keep a journal and write down thoughts and verses that stick out to me each time I’m in the Word.
- – I write a verse of the day or the week on a note cared and hang it on our fridge. It’s ALWAYS there to remind and encourage me throughout the day.
- – Talk to others about what I’ve read that day. My husband and I are trying to get better about asking each other what we read in the Word that day.
Hope that encourages you in your own personal time with the Lord!